For how many weeks can I study?

You can study for a minimum of 1 week in our General English course and 5 weeks in our English for Academic Preparation course. Maximum course length depends on your visa and current English level.

The length of your study program should be chosen according to your needs and goals.

When can I start my English course at IELI?

The General English course offers weekly commencements except on scheduled test weeks.

The English for Academic Preparation has 9 commencement dates each year.

Please follow this link to view our IELI session dates and holidays.

How do I apply for a course at IELI?

  1. Apply online and attach all supporting documents to the online enrolment form.
  2. Send an electronic (PDF-fillable) version of the enrolment form along with supporting documents to IELI Admissions at To request a copy of this form, please contact IELI Admissions.

What documents do I need to provide with your application?

  1. Passport (personal details and signature page)
  2. English Language test results (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc.)
  3. If you are planning to study another course after your English course, you should include a copy of your course offer letter including any English entry requirements.
  4. If you are applying onshore, you should also provide a copy your current Australian visa and any Confirmation of Enrolments (CoEs) for courses previously undertaken in Australia.

How do I accept my offer letter?

If you would like to accept your course offer from IELI, you need to:

    • sign your Letter of Offer
    • pay the course fees specified on your Letter of Offer
    • send the signed Letter of Offer, payment receipt and evidence of your OSHC policy (if the OSHC policy is not being arranged by IELI) to IELI Admissions at

If you are the recipient of a government scholarship, then you need to submit a valid financial guarantee in place of a payment receipt.

Can I enrol for part-time study?

You should be able enrol for part-time study if you hold a non-student visa with or have permanent residency status.

Student visa holders are only able to enrol in full-time courses at IELI.

Can I take an extended leave of absence during my studies?

Yes, you may request an extended absence during your studies if you can demonstrate compassionate or compelling circumstances. To review the policy and procedure for requesting an extended leave of absence, please refer to the IELI Terms and Conditions of Enrolment.

If IELI asks me to change campuses during my course, will there be any additional fees?

No, there will be no additional charge. If you are moving to a campus with lower tuition fees, the difference will either be refunded or reallocated to a future payment instalment. However, if you ask to move to a campus with more expensive tuition fees, then you will need to pay any difference.

Under what circumstances can I apply for an extended leave of absence?

You may request an extended absence during your studies if you can demonstrate compassionate or compelling circumstances.

These may include circumstances where:

  • there is a serious illness or death in the student’s immediate family
  • the student has a medical condition which prevents them studying
  • the student has experienced a traumatic event which has made studying difficult

Am I eligible for a discounted price?

Various special prices and promotions are available throughout the year. To find out if you are eligible for any discounts, please enquire at

Can I pay by credit card?

IELI does not accept credit card payments. Please follow the payment instructions found on your Letter of Offer when paying any course fees.

If I am unable to pay my course fees on the due date, what do I do?

You should contact IELI Admissions at A member of the Admissions team will be able to discuss your options.

What are the English entry requirements for the English for Academic Preparation course?

Admission to the EAP 1 course requires one of the following:

  • an IELTS Academic 5.5 overall with no band score lower than 5.0
  • a TOEFL iBT 59 overall with no band score lower than 11
  • a PTE Academic 46 overall with no band score lower than 42

Admission to the EAP 2 course requires one of the following:

  • an IELTS Academic 6.0 overall with no band score lower than 5.5
  • a TOEFL iBT 72 overall with no band score lower than 15
  • a PTE Academic 50 overall with no band score lower than 46

Students without English test results can gain entry to the English for Academic Preparation course by passing the IELI placement test.

How can I take the IELI placement test before enrolling?

IELI is now using the Duolingo English Test, a convenient and affordable English proficiency test, as its placement test.

The test is being used as IELI’s placement test, so students can be guaranteed of placement into class levels before even commencing their course. Results from the test also allow IELI to make more accurate course length recommendations.

The test requires an internet connection and a computer with a camera and microphone.It should be taken in a quiet, well-lit room with a computer for about an hour. You can get started by visiting

Do I need to be a certain age to study at IELI?

IELI does not offer English courses to applicants under 18 years of age who plan to study on a student visa.

If you are under 18 years of age but hold another visa type, you may be eligible to study at IELI; however, course admissions are offered strictly on a case-by-case basis. Before a place on a course is offered, the suitability of the course for the applicant will be assessed carefully. For further information, please contact IELI Admissions at

How do I receive a course recommendation regarding course length?

To receive a recommendation regarding course length, please send a copy of any recent English results to If you plan to apply for a packaged course, please also provide the details of the course you intend to study after your English course.

Do I need OSHC while I am in Australia?

If you plan on coming to Australia on a student visa, then you must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during your stay in Australia.

If you plan on coming to Australia on another visa, then it is recommended that you take out a health insurance policy although it is not a requirement.

Can IELI arrange OSHC for me?

Yes, IELI can arrange an OSHC policy for you. Please specify on your application form that you would like IELI to arrange this for you.