If you are on a student visa (not working-holiday or tourist visa), you have already paid for basic health cover known as the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). Your BUPA card will be sent to IELI by post. During your orientation at the IELI, OSHC will be discussed. If anything is unclear, take this opportunity to ask questions.

Your insurance covers (Bupa pays 100% of Medicare Benefit Schedules (MBS) fees):

  • Doctors Fees
  • Eye examinations (not glasses or contact lenses)
  • Public Hospitals (shared ward)
  • X-rays and pathology services such as blood tests
  • Ambulance costs (for emergencies)
  • Prescription medicines after co-payment, which is currently $30.70 (Up to $50 per prescription)

My Bupa Online Access
Students can access their personal OSHC membership via smart phone or online and submit claims with My Bupa where you can lodge a claim, find a provider, order your membership card and update personal details.

Private cover

If you use a private hospital or your own doctor in a public hospital, you will have to pay the difference between that service and the overseas student health cover schedule fee. If you see the doctor in the Health and Counselling Service at Flinders University, you will not need to pay for the difference.

Your insurance does not cover:

  • Additional charges for single hospital room
  • Dental work
  • Physiotherapy
  • Glasses and contact lenses
  • Non prescription medicine

Healthcare in Australia – Videos

All videos are available with subtitles in the following languages:

  • Simplified Chinese
  • Hindi
  • Nepali
  • Arabic
  • Korean
  • Spanish
  • Portuguese – Brazilian
  • Filipino

Video Library

What to do if you get sick in Australia?

Explaining the Australian Healthcare System

International worker – Shea shares his experience as a Bupa customer

Overseas student cover – Troy shares her experience as a Bupa customer


For more detailed information, please take an OSHC brochure from the IELI Student Lounge. If you would like to pay for additional insurance cover, please talk to the staff of IELI.

Campus Safety

The Flinders University campus has 24 hour security. There are security telephones in many places on the campus. (The IELI campus tour will show you these telephones.) Use these phones if you are worried about your security on campus. Campus security will also escort you to the bus stop or car park if you are on campus at night.

“My name is Kyoko. I am in the main campus library. Can you escort me to the bus stop?”

General Safety

Your safety is very important to IELI. Adelaide is generally a safe city, but every city has its own dangers. The topics below are important ways to improve your safety in Adelaide. The orientation program will give you much more information on these topics.

Protecting yourself from Traffic Dangers

  • Look both ways, remember cars drive on the left.
  • Cross at lights when possible.
  • Obey railway crossbars—if they are down, don’t cross. If they are up, look both ways.
  • Follow traffic rules on bicycles.
  • Wear a bike helmet.
  • Learn the traffic rules before getting a car in Australia. IELI recommends driving lessons before getting a car.
  • Do not drink and drive.
  • Don’t drive in the country after sunset—kangaroos cause a lot of accidents at night.
  • Drive more slowly in the country than seems necessary—road surfaces can be dangerous and farm animals may stray onto the roads.

Health Dangers

  • Go to a doctor when you are sick.
  • If you live alone, contact someone if you are sick or worried about your safety.
  • Talk to someone (friend, IELI advisor, counseling centre) if you feel stressed.

Protecting yourself from Natural Dangers

  • Be sun smart—use sunglasses, hats, clothing and sunscreen to protect your skin and eyes.
  • Swim between the flags and check safety conditions when swimming or surfing.
  • Don’t jump off jetties.
  • Be aware of spiders and snakes.

Protecting yourself from Social Dangers

  • Tell someone where you are going and when you will be back when you go out. Call if your plans change.
  • Stay with friends if you are out at night.
  • Tell someone (shop keeper, bus driver, bartender) if someone is bothering or frightening you.
  • Use taxis at night—reserve $60 in your wallet at all times for emergency transport.
  • Keep your IELI emergency card with you at all times.
  • Stay sober (don’t drink too much) so you can use good judgement.
  • Ask a local about safety before going to a new location, especially at night.


It is VERY important that you register your car. This will include insurance if you hurt someone while driving. You should also get car insurance which will help pay for damage to you or your car if you are in an accident. Car insurance is not cheap, but we have had students who had very expensive bills after an accident!


Emergency Numbers and Support

Australian Emergency Number: 000 (Triple Zero)

Police Non- Emergency Number: 131 444

Mental Health Emergency Number: 13 14 65

As soon as you arrive, you should practice saying your name and address (including the suburb) carefully so that you can say it clearly in an emergency. When you call 000, give your location and the problem.

“I need police help at 222 Bark Avenue, Seacliff”

“There is a fire behind 1324 Greene Street, Seaview Downs”

“I need an ambulance in Carpark 13 of Flinders University, Bedford Park”

IELI Support

IELI will also provide support to IELI students in the case of an emergency situation (critical incident). A critical incident is a serious accident, illness requiring hospitalisation, crime resulting in injury, or crime resulting in the arrest of the student etc.

All IELI students will be given an emergency contact card upon arrival. Keep this card with you at all times. If you need emergency support from IELI, you can call these numbers. Someone will come and provide support for you. Please note that these numbers are for Emergencies Only. For other issues please contact the IELI front desk (8201-5084) during office hours. We can also contact your emergency contact number in your home country and your national consulate to help you.


Designated contact numbers are:

  • Stacey Monteith, Director: 0424576199
  • Flinders University Security: 8201-2880

IELI also carries critical incident insurance for students. This insurance may pay additional support in addition to BUPA if a student is seriously injured during their stay at IELI